What is a Special Permit?
A Special Permit works like a guest permit but is not subject to built-in community time limits. Special Permits should be issued on a case-by-case basis where a guest’s need for parking will exceed the guest threshold. For example, perhaps your community rules state that a guest may park for 72 hours in a 7-day period, but a resident has an out-of-town guest arriving for a week. A Special Permit allows the guest to safely park without the constraints of guest parking time limits.
How can I create a Special Permit?
- Log in to the Manager dashboard on your mobile device or desktop.
- From the Guest Parking tab, select the “New Special Permit” menu option.
- Fill out the form with the vehicle license plate number, permit start & stop dates and times, contact info and any other relevant notes.
- Select “Register Special Permit” and that’s it! The vehicle's license plate will now appear on the guest parking Safelist as a Special Permit.
Who can assign a Special Permit?
Only a Manager-level admin can create a SpecialPermit. Field Agents don’t have access to this function.
Special Permit Registration - When should I Use a Special Permit?
Special Permits are digital guest permits, and are meant only for special guest parking situations.
Use Special Permits for:
- Reasonable Accommodations requests for caregiver situations
- Parking for a house-sitter while a resident is away
- A resident who is temporarily using a rental car
Revoke or Update/Edit a Special Permit
Parking Boss does not allow users with Manager or Field Agent access to revoke or cancel a Special Permit as a safety/security precaution. Why? Parking Boss wants to protect Managers from claims of "you revoked this on me and that's why I got towed."
How is a Printed Pass different from a Special Permit?
Printed Passes are great for groups of visitors as they aren’t related to a specific vehicle. If there will be multiple visitors at a specific date and time, a printed pass is most convenient. Printed Passes also have built-in barcodes for easy validation by patrol. Rather than create a Special Permit for each guest vehicle, you can generate one Printed Pass. Set the date, parking time, who the guests are visiting, and the reason or event.
When should I use a Printed Pass?
Use Printed Passes for:
- Contractors or vendors performing work at the community
- A group of people visiting the community for training or a meeting
- A special event at the Cabana, like a Birthday Party or Superbowl Party.